You may be thinking, "It can’t be that easy." In many cases it is easy. In others—particularly when documents are not available or are inconclusive—it may take more time and effort. The information in this book should help you in this process.
Some important things to remember:
- Submitting your HAR form and documents to the Data Center does not mean that your Hawaiian ancestry is verified. We will contact you to let you know that your form is complete, or to request additional documents.
- The time it takes the Data Center to complete each verification can vary. Please feel free to call if you have not heard from us within four weeks of submitting your application.
- Parents of newborns can verify the Hawaiian ancestry of their children
- any time after birth.
- You can verify your Hawaiian ancestry at any time during the year—you don’t have to wait until the enrollment period for a KS program.
- You only have to verify your Hawaiian ancestry ONCE to be considered for preference when applying for KS programs. However, we reserve the right to review ancestry status at any time if new information becomes available.