Mahalo for your interest in volunteering with Kamehameha Schools. Here at Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi, we value the contributions of volunteers and encourage our KS ʻohana to serve as a volunteer to enrich the overall educational experience for our haumāna. In order to maintain a safe learning environment for students, staff, and volunteers, Kamehameha Schools requires that individuals submit the following applicable requirements:
- Application to Volunteer (submitted yearly).
- Criminal History Background Check through HireRight
- Online Volunteer Training entitled “Ensuring A Safe Learning Environment”
- Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance — TB clearance issued after the age of 16 or within the last 12 months prior to starting.
In order to be approved to be a volunteer, you must first complete the KS Application to Volunteer. The application form for the current school year can be downloaded here.
Here are some helpful tips for completing the form effectively:
- The form is PDF fillable and can be completed electronically (via computer). You can also print and complete by hand if you prefer.
- Personal identifiable information (PII) is not requested from you at this time.
- Complete all sections in its entirety, with special consideration given to the Volunteer Questionnaire section. Please note that background checks may be required based on the type of activity you plan to engage in. Please make selection(s) as appropriate. Activities selected should accurately represent your volunteer participation interests for the entire school year.
- The form can be electronically signed by:
- Clicking on “Tools” in the top right corner of the form
- Selecting “Sign and Certify”
- Selecting “Place Signature”
- Creating the signature box on the “Volunteer Signature” line and placing your digital signature.
- Note: If you are unable to digitally sign or prefer not to, you may print the form and complete by hand.
- Upon completing the form, please return to your campus division (Elementary; Middle; High School) office or to your kumu.
- Elementary Office: Melissa Mae Pacheco, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Middle School Office: Isha Charbonneau, email@example.com
- High School Office: Joy McCollum, firstname.lastname@example.org
+ BACKGROUND CHECK
A criminal history background check may be requested based on the type of activity or frequency of your participation. See matrix below that outlines the requirements based on Volunteer activity. If you are requested to consent to a background check, the following provides you with information on KS’ volunteer background check process:
- KS partners with HireRight, a leading provider of background check services. KS uses HireRight to conduct new hire, employee and volunteer background checks.
- The process is conducted entirely online.
- You will receive an email containing a secure link directly from HireRight.
- Click on the link provided and create a password.
- Input the required personal identifying information and consent to the background check process.
- The background check process includes a 10-year nationwide criminal conviction search, a Social Security Number trace, and a National Sex Offender Registry search.
- On average, results will take 1-2 weeks to be returned. We will notify you if any result of your background checks excludes you from participating as a volunteer with KS.
- Note: Any Volunteer that has successfully completed a criminal background check through KS within the past three years may be allowed to submit a criminal history self-declaration form in lieu of a repeat criminal background check.
- If the self-declaration form is used for previously cleared volunteers, a name search through the Hawaiʻi Sex Offender Registry public website will be conducted.
+ VOLUNTEER TRAINING
Volunteer training may be required based on the type of activity or frequency of your participation. See matrix below that outlines the requirements based on volunteer activity.
Volunteer training for the 2022-2023 School Year is now available. This is an annual requirement and completion of this course will be valid through July 31, 2023.
The following provides you with information on the Volunteer training:
- Register for the online training course at https://ks.litmos.com/self-signup/.
- Use code: kshvolunteers2223
- Check your email with instructions to login.
- Email will be from: Kamehameha Schools
- Subject line: “Kamehameha Schools Team Update”
- Click on the link provided in this email.
- NEW USERS: Follow directions to setup your Kaʻi Hana account by confirming your name and creating a password. (Only fill out sections 1 and 2, skip the rest)
- REGISTERED USERS: Login with your username and password that you previously created.
- Note: your username is your email address. If you don't remember your password, send an email request to the Volunteer Program Coordinator to reset your password.
+ TUBERCULOSIS (TB) CLEARANCE
For Volunteers anticipated to have contact with K-12 students for more than thirty days cumulatively within a twelve-month period, TB clearance is required. TB clearance issued after age 16 years or within twelve months prior to starting is required. You may submit documentation of your TB clearance to your division office or to the Volunteer Program Coordinator.
+ CONTACT INFORMATION
If you have any questions regarding volunteering with Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi, please feel free to contact the KS Hawaiʻi Volunteer Program Coordinator:
Volunteer Program Coordinator
Required Volunteer Clearances by Activity
forms and resources,
Hawaii Newsroom, KS Hawaii Home, Hawaii Elementary School, Hawaii Middle School, Hawaii High School, Newsroom, Campus Programs, Hawaii