search logo

KS CEO Jack Wong (left) was on hand to congratulate some of our newly certified teachers including Literacy Resource Kumu Tiana Miguel, KSK English Kumu Kehaulani Hikila, and KSK Science Kumu Meredith Kuba. Also on hand for the HI State Capitol ceremony were KSK Assistant Head of School Debbie Lindsey and KS Kapālama Head of School Dr. Taran Chun (far right).

KS tops the state in national board-certified teachers

Feb. 6, 2018

Contributed by Nadine Lagaso

Nine Kamehameha Schools educators recently achieved certification by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, bringing the number of certified teachers at KS to 73 – more than any other private school system or public school region in the state!

The NBPTS certification is the nation’s highest credential in the teaching profession. To ensure that all Hawai‘i teacher certification candidates had the best chance for success, KS’ Hoʻolaukoa Career Pathways and Professional Growth Department teamed up with the Hawai‘i State Teachers Association to provide candidate support through seminars and cohort meetings.

The certification process includes building portfolios that include student work, assignments, and a teaching analysis. The portfolios account for 60 percent of the certification scoring. The remaining 40 percent is based on exams assessing teaching subject areas and strategies.

Candidates for certification report spending up to 900 hours during the school year to earn certification. Despite the rigors of the process, National Board-certified teachers often refer to it as the best professional development they have ever experienced.

Ceremonies were recently held at the Hawai’i State Capitol, KS Maui, and KS Hawai’i to honor newly certified and renewed KS and Hawai‘i State DOE educators.


Kehaulani Hikila
English Kumu, KS Kapālama High School

Meredith Kuba
Science Kumu, KS Kapālama High School

Loke Melchor
KS Kapālama Elementary School Kumu

Sheila Ann Dean
English Kumu, KS Maui Middle School

Lesley Ann Pico-Lilio
Social Studies Kumu, KS Maui High School

Holly Lee
English Kumu, KS Hawaiʻi Middle School

Lauren Supnet
Science Kumu, KS Hawaiʻi Middle School

Jane Cariaga
Kealapono Literacy Resource Kumu, Pāhoa Elementary School

Tiana Miguel
Kealapono Literacy Resource Kumu, Kaunakakai Elementary School

See a complete list of our NBPTS-certified educators.

Seeking Certification?

Applications are currently being accepted for the 2018-2019 National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certification cohort. For more information about pursuing teacher certification, visit the NBPTS website.

Kamehameha educators interested in seeking certification, can learn more on the KSOnline Nā Kula ‘O Kamehameha web page.

If you have questions, please contact Hoʻolaukoa Education Design Specialist Jeannine Fujimori at or (808) 842-8093.

Hawai‘i island certified teachers were honored recently at KSH’s William Charles Lunalilo Center. On hand to congratulate them were KSH Associate Head of School Scott De Sa, DOE Keaʻau-Kaʻū-Pāhoa Complex Area Superintendent Chad Keone Farias, and Hawaiʻi County Mayor Harry Kim.

Maui island honorees gathered at KSM’s Keōpūolani Hale for their ceremony, and were joined by KSM Head of School Dr. Scott Parker, Hawaiʻi Deputy Superintendent of Education Phyllis Unebasami, and DOE Baldwin-Kekaulike-Maui Complex Area Superintendent Kathleen Dimino.

sp2020 goal 1,kapalama,maui campus,ks hawaii

Kaipuolono Article, Regions, East Hawai’i, Themes, Leadership, Newsroom, Campus Programs, Hawaii, Kapalama, Maui, Community Education, Moloka’i and Lana’i

Print with photos Print text only