There are 17 Hawaiian-focused public charter schools in Hawaiʻi. This diverse group of schools shares a common focus, where instruction and learning are grounded in the values, norms, knowledge, beliefs, practices and language that are the foundation of Native Hawaiian culture.
Characteristics of a Hawaiian-focused public charter school in Hawaiʻi:
- Approximately 90 percent of students served are of Hawaiian ancestry
- Approximately 62 percent of students served are socioeconomically disadvantaged children.
- The faculty and staff are passionate and deeply committed.
- Innovative teaching methods and curriculum that are grounded in Hawaiian values, culture and practices.
- Student-centered, place-based and project-based learning designed to engage young hearts and minds.
- Small student-teacher ratios and trusting ʻohana climate
- Meet the individual needs of students via small student : teacher ratios
- Are catalysts for community change and their commitment to their community
- Willing to take risks to achieve greater well-being and educational excellence
Kamehameha Schools supports Hawaiian-focused public charter schools through its Ho‘olako Like Department which provides $1,500 per student funding, leadership development, instructional imporvement programs and facilities, planning, and advocacy support to supplement existing programs at the charter schools and to enhance the quality of education in Hawai‘i.
Hawaiian-focused public charter schools in your area (along with the grade levels they serve) are:
Kanu o ka ʻĀina NCPCS (K-12)
Kamuela, HI; (808) 890-8144; http://kanu.kalo.org
Ka ʻUmeke Kāʻeo Hawaiian Immersion PCS (K-8)
Hilo, HI; (808)933-3482; http://www.kaumeke.org
Ke Ana Laʻahana PCS (7-12)
Hilo, HI; (808) 961-6228; http://www.kalpcs.com
Ke Kula ʻo Nawahīokalaniʻōpuʻu Iki Laboratory PCS (K-8)
Kea‘au, HI; (808) 982-4260; http://www.nawahi.org
Kua O Ka Lā PCS (K-2, 6-12)
Pāhoa, HI; (808) 965-5098; http://www.kuaokala.org
Waimea Middle PCCS (6-8)
Kamuela, HI; (808) 887-6090; http://www.waimeamiddleschool.org
Kanuikapono Learning Center PCS (K-12)
Anahola, HI; (808) 823-9160; http://kanuikapono-charter-school.org
Kawaikini NCPCS (K-12)
Līhu‘e, HI; (808) 632-2032; http://www.kawaikini.com
Ke Kula Niʻihau o Kekaha Learning Center and Laboratory PCS (K-12)
Kekaha, HI; (808) 337-0481
Kula Aupuni Niʻihau a Kahelelani Aloha NCPCS (K-12)
Kekaha, HI; (808) 337-2022; http://kanakapcs.org
Kualapuʻu Elementary NCPCCS (K-6)
Kualapuʻu, HI; (808) 567-6900; http://www.kualapuu.k12.hi.us
Hakipuʻu Learning Center NCPCS (5-12)
Kāneʻohe, HI; (808) 235-9155; http://hakipuulearningcenter.sharepoint.com/
Hālau Kū Māna NCPCS (6-12)
Honolulu, HI; (808) 945-1600; http://www.halaukumana.org
Kamaile Academy PCS (K-8)
Waiʻanae, HI; (808) 697-7110; http://www.kamaile.org
Ka Waihona ʻo ka Naʻauao NCPCS (K-8)
Waiʻanae, HI; (808) 620-9030; http://www.kawaihonapcs.org
Ke Kula ʻo Samuel M. Kamakau Laboratory PCS (K-12)
Kāneʻohe, HI; (808) 235-9175; http://www.kamakau.com
Mālama Honua Charter School (K-2)
Waimānalo, HI; (808) 259-5522; http://www.malamahonuapcs.org/